How long do I have to wait to report someone missing?

There is no minimum time you must wait to report someone missing, but do check out our Missing Persons page for some more ideas and specific information.

My child is at someone's house and will not come home. Can I report them missing?

No. When you know where someone is, they are not missing. You need to go to the location and try to pick your child up. If you have a problem when you get there, and the location is within the Elk Grove city limits, you may call our non-emergency line at (916) 714-5115. If you are outside the city limits, contact the local law enforcement agency.

Check out our Missing Persons page for more information.

Do you have a program to help assist families with Alzheimer or other at-risk family members?

Yes, it's called Return Home. We keep a record of your family member, along with a photo and contact information. If we find an "at-risk" person that seems to be lost, we can use the database to try to reunite them with their caregivers. Also, if your family member has suddenly gone missing, we have their information and a picture available to avoid delays. Please check out the Return Home Program brochure, then contact our Community Service Center at (916) 478-8100 to get your family member signed up.

If you have other questions that you would like us to post here, please email the webmaster.