Property and Evidence Bureau

The function of the Property and Evidence Bureau is to receive, store, track and dispose of property and evidence that is collected by officers of the Elk Grove Police Department. Attention is given to preserving evidence for possible future laboratory examination, as well as for court room purposes. The staff maintains chain of custody for prosecution purposes and serves as a liaison to the public in the return of property. Approximately 15,000 items of property pass through the Property and Evidence Bureau each year. These items consist of bicycles, firearms, money, drugs, backpacks, checks, credit cards, audio and video equipment, furniture, computers and a variety of other items.

Property is released to the rightful owner or their designee with proper authorization and a valid photo identification (such as a driver's license, ID card or passport), by appointment only. Appointments are scheduled so that staff is available at the designated time to release property. The Property and Evidence Bureau is not always open, as staff spends a significant amount of time processing property and researching cases to determine what can be released to its’ rightful owner. To schedule an appointment call 916-478-8180.

The Property and Evidence Bureau is staffed by a Property and Evidence Manager, as well as two Property and Evidence Technicians.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are your hours of operation?

The Elk Grove Police Department Property Bureau is located at 8400 Laguna Palms Way. Property is returned by appointment only during the hours of 1:00-3:00 p.m. Monday and 10:00 a.m. -3:00 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday. The phone number is 916-478-8180.

How do I get my property back?

Found property is held for a period of 90 days. If unclaimed, the property is either auctioned, donated or disposed of per department policy and in accordance with California Civil Code 2080.1. The finder of any property/cash that is not claimed within those 90 days can apply to claim the property/cash if they so wish. Information on how to do this is available by calling 916-478-8180. Found weapons and contraband can not be claimed.

Safekeeping property is held for a period of 60 days. If the owner is incarcerated, they must make arrangements to have the property picked up within the 60 day period, or must request in writing that the property be held up to an additional 10 months. Safekeeping property not retrieved within this time period will be auctioned or disposed of per departmental policy and in accordance with 2080.10 of the California Civil Code. Firearms held as safekeeping as the result of a family disturbance, mental health issues or other incidents have special requirements for release:

All persons attempting to retrieve their firearm(s) must obtain clearance through the California Department of Justice Firearms Division per 12021.3 of the Penal Code. The Law Enforcement Gun Release Application (LEGR) can be obtained at The application must be completed by the lawful owner of the firearm and mailed to the Department of Justice. The approval process can take as long as six weeks.

Please contact the Property Bureau prior to filing the LEGR application to verify the firearm’s eligibility for release. Proof of ownership is required before firearms can be released.

In cases involving Welfare and Institutions Code 5150 or Penal Code 12028.5, the City Attorney’s office may petition the courts to retain the firearms/weapons if it is determined that they pose a risk to any of the involved parties. When a petition to retain is filed, weapons/firearms can only be released after a court hearing has been held and authorization by the Department of Justice has been obtained.

Firearms releases are by appointment only. Any firearm/weapon not claimed within 180 days of notification of its eligibility will be disposed of in accordance with state law. Call 916-478-8180 for further information and/or to make an appointment.

Other items held as evidence can only be released with the permission of the investigating officer or the District Attorney’s Office. If the owner does not claim the items or cannot be located, they will be auctioned or disposed of per departmental policy and in accordance with state law.

Can someone else pick up property besides the owner?

In certain situations, someone other than the owner may pick up items if prior arrangements have been made. Call 916-478-8180 for more information.

What recourse do citizens have if property has been wrongly released or destroyed?

Citizens may file a claim with the City of Elk Grove. Claim forms can be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office at 8401 Laguna Palms Way, Elk Grove, CA 95758. You may also call the City Clerk's office at (916) 478-3635 to request a claim form be mailed to you.

Does the Elk Grove Police Department auction their unclaimed property and evidence?

Yes. All auction items are handled through an auction company called California Auction Company ( The California Auction Company is a Northern California company that deals in auctions services and they administer auctions throughout the State of California.